Serves: 4 People
Preperation Time: 5 Minutes (if fish are cleaned)
Cooking time: 25-30 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
You may serve this with a lemon garlic sauce, or Tahineh and Lemon Sauce; a side of baked fries, and salad.
Smelt is low in calories and fat; each 3 oz. serving contains 105 calories. rich in protein, Potassium , Calcium, Iron and Vitamin A.
500 g Cleaned Smelts
½ Lemon Zest
4 tbs. Lemon Juice
2 Garlic Cloves Crushed
2 tbs. Olive oil
¼ tbls Salt (to taste)
¼ tsp Black Pepper
¼ tsp Cumin Ground
1. Preheat the Oven to 350 F. Middle Rack.
2. Place fish in a bowl, and mix in Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Olive oil, Salt ,Black Pepper, Cumin.
3. Place the fish on a non-stick flat baking sheet, (you can spray the baking sheet with canola non stick spray if you think that it may stick) space the fish out allowing place to turn them later.
4. Put in the oven for 20 minutes or till the bottom is slightly golden.
5. Pull try pan out and use a spatula to turn all the fish, place in the oven for another 10 minutes (again till slightly golden) This will make the fish crispy , if you like the fish to remain soft, do 10 minutes on one side 5-8 on the other.
6. Remove from oven and serve warm, with a dipping sauce and a side of potatoes and salad.
7. The bones can be pulled out fairly easily, but can be eaten along with the fish as with sardines. Enjoy!